Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Rainy Day Vegetable Pie

My blogging has been somewhat erratic.  Some of you know the reason why and others may have been wondering why.  Well I must let you know, I am in the process of moving home.  Yes again, last time it was from Scotland to Wales.  This time not so far, still Wales, but a little more deeper into the Welsh valleys.  

The official big move has yet to come, but every evening we have been driving to our new home with boxes; and every evening it has rained heavy on us and the winds have been truly wild.  So I thought it was only appropriate that I share with you these Rainy Day Vegetable Pies .  
This topless pie has featured on my blog before, but you will just have to forgive me for re-posting an old recipe.  I have a genuine excuse.  I have been cooking from scratch, but unfortunately the darkness has prohibited me from taking photographs.    I promise, once I have settled into my new warm home and got organised in my new kitchen, I will be blogging as I did in the past - with a vengeance.  For now, please be patient with me. 
I am sharing this recipe with Tasty Tuesdays hosted by the lovely Vicki at Honest Mum.

Rainy Day Vegetable Pie
For the pastry 
To line a 9 inch pastry tin
Double quantity if you want to make a covered pie
Ingredients 
180g plain flour
pinch of salt
75g cold butter
2 - 3 tablespoons water
Method for pastry
Mix in the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Rub in the butter , lifting it high with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Sir in a little cold water and form it into a stiff ball.  Leave it to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before using.
When you are ready to roll the pastry.  Roll it out onto a lightly floured board. 
Oil a pie dish well and lift the pastry into it.  Trim the excess pastry* with a sharp knife.  Blind bake at gas mark 6 for 15 - 20 minutes.  Set aside to cool.
*Re-roll the pastry for topping if you wish.  I have here in the shape of umbrellas. 

For the white sauce
50g butter
50g plain flour
½- ¾ pint milk depending on the required thickness
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the white sauce
Melt the butter, add the flour and stir into a roux.  Stir and cook for a few minutes.  Reduce the heat and slowly add in the milk, stirring each addition in thoroughly before the next step.  Continue this until all the milk has been added, and slowly bring to a simmer allowing the sauce to thicken.  Then season with salt and pepper and set aside.

For the vegetable filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small cabbage head, shredded
2 sticks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, grated
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil then add the cabbage and saute with the lid on for a few minutes, until the cabbage begins to soften.  Remember to stir from time to time.  When the cabbage is nearly soft, stir int he celery and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. 
Then tip the sauteed vegetables, along with the parsley into the white sauce and stir well.  Season with salt and pepper.  Leave to cool.
To assemble.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 7.
Gently spread the creamy vegetable filling into the pastry case. 
Top with optional pastry covering.
Bake in oven for 30 - 40 minutes. 

28 comments:

  1. Oh boy you have been busy! I am loving the pies, I bet they kept you going. Nice finishing touch with the umbrella and so apt at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac, weather is warming up now - so sun shine ones next time

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with your house move, Shaheen- and enjoy your new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the umbrellas! So perfect for the current climate. Being a meat eater, I never think of making a pure vegetable pie, this looks delicious though, thanks for inspiring me. #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I am so pleased you like these Veg pies.

      Delete
  4. Moving is a big pain, especially when the weather is not in your favour. However once you have moved I am sure you will settle in quickly. Happy new home, may it bring you happiness. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath. It has been much harder this time round. But I am beginning to settle in - new garden and kitchen!

      Delete
  5. ...very cute pies...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your new abode!
    will you be able to grow your own veg/fruit etc?
    I always think of you when I smell garlic, especially (wild garlic) ransomes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandie.
      Yes I am so excited to have a proper garden plot for growing. A little behind on the growing seedling front, but I'l get there and will have much more to share than I have the past couple of years, esp. since losing my allotment plot.
      Yeah, wild garlic. I've got a secret spot here and hope to check it out for a forage next w/e

      Delete
  7. A new home, how exciting! I can't wait to see the photos of your new kitchen, the last one look so lovely. This recipe looks delish, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran.
      The kitchen is a little dark, but I hope to share some pics over the next few months.

      Delete
  8. how beautiful are these? So adorable and cute and perfect for a rainy day... you could sell these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. Sell them :) maybe nxt time.

      Delete
  9. good luck with moving house and look forward to having your blogging with a vengeance (though I can't claim I am blogging with a vengeance lately - feeling like other things taking over but still hanging in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. Its been hard this time round.
      I hope I will blog more once settled into my new abode, but I have to admit, I am looking forward to growing again - have a fair size growing garden space and am so excited. Hope you well.

      Delete
  10. Those are so cute, your food is always so nicely presented!

    Good luck with the house move, I hope it goes well :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious! Perfect for rain and shine! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's just hope that the Internet connection in your new home in deepest darkest Wales is a good one! The first thing we are going to want to see is of course a photo of your new abode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark.
      I have to say that the BT connection is not as good as the one before, maybe it will get better...its a lie frustrating to say the least. The service has been poor too this time round. Anyway, settling slowing into my new abode. Hope to share more soon. Hope your well.

      Delete
  13. Lovely pie, love the umbrella. Yes I have seen on the news the weather has been awful in UK. somehow your link keeps dropping off my blog reading list. But I am so happy I popped across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So good to hear from you.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You