Tuesday, 25 December 2012

Festive Vegetarian Christmas Burger

Firstly may I wish all my readers a very Merry Christmas.
I have taken a few days off from work.  We will be going over to my parents later this evening, and tomorrow morning travelling to D's mothers. Having rested the last couple of days, I thought I'd play catch up with a little blogging. 

As you can imagine, over the past few months I've created a number of seasonal dishes and some of these have been for the festive season.  The one I would like to begin with today is my Festive Vegetarian Christmas Burger. 
When I began my little business venture, I had no intention of serving burgers, well not on a daily basis, but people have been asking for them and they have been featuring on the menu for the past three months.  Variations include those made with beans and vegetables, such as beetroot, parsnip, pumpkins, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and the flavours are equally diverse, from Indian, Jamaican to Mexican, oh I even featured my Haggis Burger for St Andrews day last month.
These Vegetarian Christmas Burgers are served in a large granary roll, with winter greens, a slice of mock 'turkey' and a generous spread of cranberry sauce.  I am submitting these Festive Burgers to December-January editiion of Simple and In Season,  a monthly event created by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food. This month it is being hosted by Lavender and Lovage

For those of you with left overs tomorrow, yes you will be able to make these left over cooked vegetables from you Christmas Party menu. 
Vegetarian Christmas Burgers
Makes 8 burgers
A2K Ingredients
100g Fairtrade whole Quinoa
175ml vegetable stock or water
1 medium parsnips, grated (or cooked and mashed)

1 medium carrot, grated (or cooked and mashed)
4 raw Brussels sprouts, grated (or cooked and minced)
1 medium onion, grated
200g chickpea flour

40g dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Vegetable oil to shallow fry
A2K Method
Rinse the Quinoa in cold water. Boil in 175ml water for 10 minutes covered with a lid. Remove the saucepan from the heat, mix in a little salt and level on side for 10 minutes covered. In large bowl, add the grated vegetables, stir in the flour, cranberries, herbs and season to taste. When the Quinoa has cooled down add to the bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. 


Divide the mixture into 6 – 8 burger shapes and place on a tray. Leave to rest for a while to firm up. When ready to eat, heat oil in a wide frying pan and cook them gently, flip over and press them gently whilst cooking. Cook for about 3 - 4  minutes on each side until brown and crisp. Serve immediately.
Vegetarian Christmas Burgers with all the trimmings
To assemble into a proper Christmas Burger, you will also need
Large granary roll
a couple of slices of mock 'vegetarian or vegan turkery'
Cranberry relish
Winter Salad Leaves including some red leaves and optional pretzels in the shape of snowflakes.
Enjoy!
Updated: January 2013 - Fellow blogger Nic at Lemon and Cheese made a variation of these Burgers, follow this link to view.

18 comments:

  1. These sound good! Happy Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you've come up for air-and that the cafe is still going well.
    Look after yourself
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very festive. I can't believe you've managed to get sprouts in there, these would be a great way to get kids to eat veggies without knowing. Hope you're having a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew came over and tried one and was delighted with the results. So its sure a winner, if he approves of the hidden sprouts.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen; I hope that the cafe is doing well. I'm sure you will appreciate having someone else to cook dinner for you while you rest up a bit! I bet the cafe is hard work, isn't it? Best Wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaheen, thank you so much for leaving a comment at rusty duck today. I look forward to spending a bit more time on your site.

    I'm a would-be vegetarian with a carnivorous husband, and desperately need to find some non meat recipes that he will eat. Any tips gratefully received! Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mark. I wish the cafe was doing well, but I am just about making it and still enjoying it, if not making any money :( It truly is hard work. I promnise to write more about the cafe.

    I hd good festive and birthday food when I was at my parents for Christmas day which coincided with a B'day party thrown for my Dads belated 60th party bash, It was nice to tuck into homely grub for sure,. Best wishes for the New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound nice...I'm always up for a new burger recipe...think I'd give the sprouts a miss though (Mum didn't even try to put a sprout on my plate this year..it's only taken her 28 years to get the hint!) Hope you had a lovely Christmas and all the best for the new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, these burgers sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look fantastic - I am not surprised you are finding burgers in demand at your cafe - so often veg burgers are just boring stodge but when someone like you puts in interesting and inspired flavours and textures they are fantastic - I would love to have a place like yours nearby where I could buy burgers

    And yes please write more about the cafe - enjoy seeing the occasional menu on your hunky dorry blog but would love to hear more about how it is going and how it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Johanna. I have been coming by your blog and reading when I have time, just have not had the time to comment with consideration, I must say I did wish i was back in Scotland because i know we would have made a point of meeting up, but hey that's life. Wishing you a good 2013, and Thank you as always for staying true and supporting me throughout my blogging years, even though the last year was poor for blogging on my part, not yours :)

      Delete
  10. These look really good. I bought a load of brussels, parsnips and carrots reduced after Christmas and am looking for something to do with them, these look perfect. I don't have quinoa though...would bulghar wheat work instead? Also could I use plain flour instead of chickpea flour?

    Thanks

    Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola,
      You can def. sub bulgar as that is what I used to used before I was able to access quinoa and yes, plain flour is fine too, though it will not have that nutty cheesy flavour that comes from chickpea flour, my recommendation is wholewhat flour though, not plain white. Happy eating.

      Delete
    2. fantastic, Thank you :)

      Delete
    3. Hello Shaheen,

      I made these a little after Christmas and froze them. I've only just got the post up on my blog! http://lemonandcheese.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/vegetarian-christmas-burgers.html. They were so good! I made a couple of changes because of what I had in the house but I did get some chickpea flour from my local Turkish supermarket for 80p!

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much for letting me know Nic. I've up-dated my blog post with a link to your variation. I am so glad you liked them, I have to be honest I have never frozen them as I made them at work to sell, but its good for me to know that they freeze well. I like you change of bulgar wheat, so much cheaper than quinoa, also I am so pleased you got the chickpe flour at a good price, supermarkets charge way too much for it. Happy eating.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You