Sunday, 1 April 2012

The bucket of crabs

Do you know the story of the Bucket of Crabs?!  I've been told its from Terry Pratchett book.  Rather than go through it, here is a succinct explanation from another fellow blogger.  

There is a very intriguing trait of crabs. When placed in a bucket, a single crab easily climbs out. Adding two or more crabs to the bucket, however, none will ever escape. The lower crabs will grab onto the higher climbers and yank them down. This phenomenon is analogous to anyone striving for a better life. Your current scenario is the bucket and your critics are the fellow crabs. And the world is not short of crabs who love to pull you down.  Extract borrowed from here. Also see here.

I have always been able to associate with it.   I was one of those crabs being dragged down.  It is one of the reasons I left my hometown many, many years ago.  My issue has never been people I went to High school with, as many followed different paths.  Its the gossipping community I grew up around and it still sadly exists.  No one else could do better, unless it was them or a member of their family.  My family were not happy with me at the time, but I knew I had to leave home (for University) if I wanted a real life from prying eyes.  I never returned.  Until now that is, as circumstances have brought me back here many years later.  Now I am back, as much as I am enjoying being close to my family.  I am not enjoying being back near this so called community of nosey busy bodies.  But it would be totally unfair to say that its limited to the close-knit community, when I graduated and found employment.  I saw the Bucket of Crab story being played out in different ways. Where people in positions of power manipulate those privileges and keep you down - stop you from progressing.  As soon as I showed an ounce of ambition, those ambitions were quashed.  In my previous roles, where women have been my line managers, I am sorry to say I have never progressed in that organisation.  It even happened in my last place of employment.  

Anyway, all this is way of saying I have been giving some serious consideration to making a career change in the food industry, especially as I now have been unemployed for a year.  I may not have the hands on experience, but I know I am a competent creative cook.   I have been doing some research and wading my way around here to see where I may be able to develop my skills.  The question is who is going to curb my enthusiasm now?  Noone, as I am determined.  But I do believe there will be a few crabs coming out from the sandy waters to grab and snatch me back down, especially if there is some sign of promise.

18 comments:

  1. I love this post and the analogy, sadly I can relate to that. I have never heard this before but I am sure I will think of it often in my future. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it! Change is exciting. Shake the crabs off and get out of the bucket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this. I really really needed to hear this. I know where my passion lies,but just need the boost of confidence in myself. not going to let any crabs drag me down, and all the best for you too!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaheen,

    I’ve never heard of this story but so much hope that for you that you will rise above all of this as I believe you can. You have a wonderful, wonderful talent that really deserves to be appreciated. Go for it girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making the right choice. It's time. Just don't think of being a crab...you aren't one. Simple as that. Others maybe, but not you.

    No one will curb your enthusiasm if you don't let them.

    Yes Chef.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Shaheen! I'm so glad to read about your proyect! Go for it, you can do it and kick the crabs down! Love. Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to this post and wish you lots of luck with the career change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post. I came from a really negative, passive-aggressive place and I knew I had to move away if I wanted to grow - I've completely transformed since. Six months ago I couldn't have imagined pursuing or achieving any of the things I'm doing now.

    I adore your recipes and I just know you'll get where you want! Don't let those crabs pull you down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaheen. I have been a follower of you blog for a few months and I have found your recipes and writing brillant. If you decide to do anything in a food related role the company that get you will be very luck indeed.

    As for the 'crabs' to hell with them,you do whatever makes you happy. if they can't handle it that's their problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Shaheen, this is the first time I've come across the Bucket of Crabs tale and I can relate to that too in terms of some school bullying and later in life some bullying neighbours and it's taken a lot for me to climb out of my so called bucket to finally do my own thing.
    I'm willing you on to go for it if you head down a new path and I do hope that involves all this wonderful cooking you share with us. Best of luck! x
    Ps. on a totally different subject, the Waterboys are returning to Cardiff, St. Davids Hall on May 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for it. Don't let the crabs get you down! I've seen your recipes on here and I think you have potential to turn them into a really good cafe.

    Unusual, seasonal food sounds like a major selling point to me.

    If you've been out of work for a year you can probably get help with some of the 'official' training you'll need too. Like gaining your hygiene certificate.

    Just let us know when the official opening will be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are right about crabs. I have given up on the whole career path thing because in the end 'playing the corporate game' was never something I was particularly good at. In the end I reconciled myself to that and to a certain extent recognise that this was much my fault as theirs - we were all crabs in the same bucket after all. At the moment I am happy being a mum, but one day financial imperatives will send me back into the workforce but hopefully not into any more buckets. Hope you find a bucketfree world of your own, or at the very least cook any crabs you run into (or maybe making them out of tofu is more apt).

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are indeed very talented in the kitchen, as your blog has shown - oh to taste your cooking - sounds like a great idea for change of career and I wish you all the best for it! I could see you having a lovely little tearoom and if only I could get near I would visit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didn't know that about crabs! Hope you find the career that will make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go for it, never let them put you down! I so encourage your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go for it, don't let the crabs pull you back. Which is, I know only too well, easier said than done. But, you have a talent, so leap out of the bucket before they can get you. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that last comment "leap out of the bucket" sounds like a good goal to head for!!! I love your blog and send radiant blessings to you for your future challenges - sounds like you will be very successful in your new future xxx

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You