Saturday, 21 April 2012

Rhubarb and Hibiscus Butter

As promised in my  previous post, here is the Rhubarb Hibiscus Butter that was made around the same time as the Rhubarb and Rose Petal Flower Butter

I've only every had dried hibiscs flowers in herbal drinks, so I was curious to taste it as a spread.  The hibiscus certainly intensifies the zingy sourness of the rhubarb furthermore. And the colour, well its stunning.
I've had this recipe bookmarked from Andrea's blog Jammin Jelly for a couple of years and I am so glad that I have finally got round to making it.  I think its such a easy and lovely recipe that will appeal to many people, so it is for that reason that I am sharing Andrea's recipe with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes.   Jacqueline is hosting Aprils edition #11 of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.
Rhubarb and Hibiscus Butter
Makes 1 x 260g
Ingredients
300g rhubarb, sliced
100g golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 - 3 teaspoons dried hibiscus flower, minced
Method
Macerate the rhubarb slices in the sugar for a minimum of 6 hours, or overnight until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the rhubarb and its sugary juices into a medium pan. Add the lemon juice and the hibiscus flowers. Heat over medium heat, stirring now and again for 10 - 15 minutes, or until it has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, before pouring into a sterilized jar. The original recipe can be found here. 

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely colour. What would you eat this with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great on croissant, scones and even bagels.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good, definitely bookmarking it! I've never tried making preserves, but I really want to do jams this summer (I'm thinking strawberry jam with a twist like lime or rhubarb). I always got the impression that making the stuff was fiddly and time-consuming - do you have any tips for beginners, or is it genuinely as lovely and straightforward as it sounds here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tor Ince,
      this is so much more easier than making jams, honestly, do try it. I am pretty much an amateur myself at jam making and preserving, all I can say is experiment. The more you practice the more confident you become.

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful Shaheen! The colour is beautiful as you note, and the flavours sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful-can't wait to try it out and taste it-thank you Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome Dragonette. Do hope you like. I keep meaning to try your Smoked Sodabread, everytime I have been to the Cardiff Waitrose, they don't seem to have the flour. Will keep my beady eyes out for it though.

      Delete
    2. Whoops-probably me buying it all up!!

      Where do you get your dried hibiscus flowers from?

      Delete
    3. It took me a good year to find some, I was in Notting Hill last year and got some from The Spice Shop. Not cheap, but worth it as a treat. See here.
      http://www.thespiceshop.co.uk/catalog.php
      And if your interested, this was my post on Notting Hill.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/portobello-market.html

      Delete
    4. Loved your post on Portabella Market...brought back memories as I actually met Clarissa D W for the first time in Books For Cooks about 20 years ago. As you said, it is a very small shop...She offered me some sausages which she had just cooked but I declined and I just remember her saying she hoped I wasn’t one of those ‘vegetarians’...I made a sharp exit!

      Delete
    5. Thanks Dragonette.
      I 'saw' Clarissa too, but it was in Edinburgh where she opened a cookbook shop similar to the one in Portabella. It sadly did not last long, now replaced by a retro shop. So funny to read of your memory and sharp exit. She's a funny lady. I have one of her cookbook called 'Food' where she makes a comment about vegetarians too, but I don't bite at that much criticism.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You