Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Paprika Mushroom and Potato Pies

Well, it was rather quite at the cafeteria today, hence the reason I have found a little time to play catch up and blog. 

On the daily specials menu today, we had a Thai Green Curry and these individual Paprika Mushroom and Potato Pies that were served with sauteed cabbage and garden peas.  Individual home-made pies sell very well at my little cafeteria, the two runaway successes are my Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pies and Garlic, Mushroom and Parsley Pies.  I've also started making Macaroni Cheese Pies too, a vegan variation too. 
Back to these pies though.  I know I should have sliced into this pie to show you what it looked like on the inside, but this one was not destined for my belly, but for D's working day lunch.  I suppose you can describe this pie a little like a mushroom goulash.  These are very rich, creamy and quite filling would you believe.  And good to eat, warm or cold.
Paprika Mushroom and Potato Pie filling
Makes 6 - 8pies
400g potatoes, peeled and cubed
400g chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
4 celery stalks, finely sliced
40g plain flour
2 teaspoons sweet paprika or standard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon cayenne
400ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the potatoes in salted water until tender, drain and set aside
Heat the oil in a wide pan, add the onion and celery and fry gently until the onion is soft and lightly coloured. Add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms mixture, stir until well incorporated, then add the paprika, thyme and cayenne. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat.  Stir in the potatoes.   Season with salt and pepper to taste.


  1. How amazing do these look? I am still stuffed from dinner but could go for one of these right now...

    Erin - ekcantcook.blogspot.com

  2. You have inspired me to have a go at making little pies as well. Normally I make just one big pie because it is quicker to do!

  3. Now I really wished I was close enough to visit your cafe - these look delicious! cheers Wendy

  4. looks interesting, I will have to give it a try.

  5. I'm definitely inspired to do some individual, savory pies now. Thanks! And I imagine these would be easy to store in the freezer until I need them.

  6. Yum...! Shaheen, that looks great!

    Good to see your cafe business going strong. I keep thinking I should open a bakery as all my friends tell my cakes are to die for but I have no work experience.

    If you don't mind could you please share your experience and how to came to open your cafe. Thanks a lot.

    1. promise to share in the near future. I had no experience too and stumbled into it quite literally. You should follow the bakery ambition, that is of course if it is what you want to do.

  7. that sounds delicious! I might just try it.

  8. Just looking at it makes my mouth watery! Hahah.
    I'd love to try this recipe out some time.


  9. This sounds like a very warming and filling autumnal meal, and I love potatoes and mushrooms. How do you do the pie crust part? I mean, is it possible to just bake it all in one full-size pie plate if you don't have 6-8 miniature ones?

    1. Yes you can make one large pie, I have in the past, but do ind. ones for the cafe as people like it moreso. Heres the link to the pie crust part.

  10. So glad you're café is popular! :) Makes me smile to know that my friends from all over the world are doing well, many have been getting creative, more and more. My Chilean pal started stuying design.. Agh.. I just love artsy souls! :) (I actually have a plan to move to Sweden next year! :) I'll talk more about it on my blog soon.)

    I wanted to tell you that today I had (another) date with myself, went to downtown and visited a restaurant-café with a really great atmosphere.. Just when I entered the main chef greeted me nicely and told me about the offers.. I thought it was such a nice gesture! :)

    And the food!!!!!!!! They use gaustronatics, but for a very reasonable price, so it was amaa-zingg!! :D :D I chose the vegetarian option and I LOVED it! It looked like a piece of art! It was sour beetroot rolls with mild avocado cream paste filling with sweet pumpkin sauce. And there were also many salad leaves and lentil sprouts.. YUMMM!!! It looked so great, I love this restaurant now! :) Before the meal, they brought me free homemade raisin bread with cream butter.. I'm hooked!! :)

    I'm a real foodie, and I fancy places like this! So great they had a vegetarian option! :) The menu was so wide and interesting. Maybe next time I'll take a photo for you.. :D

    Take care!

    Hugs and kisses,

    1. So good to hear from you x
      I am so sorry I am not visiting much as you know I am very busy. When I really have time, I will make effort to come by your lovely blog x Lookign forwad to reading more about your move to Sweden next year.
      The sour beetroot rolls sound fab.

  11. Shaheen, it sounds as though you have momentous news. I turn my back for a week or two, ahem, or was that a month or two? And I find you are running a cafe. I'm going to have to find out more now, how very exciting. Only, couldn't you have set it up here in Liskeard - we so need a good cafe and a good vegetarian cafe would be even better.

    Your pies sound delicious and I can quite see why they would be popular.

    1. Thank you so much Choclette, it really was all accidental and happened so suddenely. Will blog post about it in the near future. Good to see your blogging lots of chocolatey goodness still and I will def. come by for inspiriation. I am hoping to put on Peanut Butter Choc Brownies on the menu soon.

  12. I'm glad you still find the time to share your recipes :) I'm so grateful! And this is lovely pie which I will try once the weather will be a bit more autumn-ish. It is still quite warm and sunny here in Germany.

  13. Your little pies look fab Shaheen! Any chance I could order a selection to pop in to my freezer as they would be super to take to work for lunch!

    1. Of course you can, just let me know in advance and I will make some for you. I am hoping to make some to sell at the Newport Food Festival next weekend too, as well as other tasty pies.

  14. What do you me MY cafeteria. When did this happen? so glad it is working well though. nice pies.

    1. It literally just happened Solange. No plans and before I knew it I had my own little cafe.

  15. Georgous, tasty & fab creations! They look so delectable too!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You