Sunday, 5 August 2012

Balsamic Roasted Beetroot Dyed Pasta

For the past month or so, I have been making this Balsamic Roasted Beetroot Pasta.  I created the recipe quite by accident really.  I had some left over roasted Balsamic Roasted Beetroot based on a recipe by Denis Cotter, which I then just simply grated and added to cooked pasta.  Not only does the roasted balsamic beetroot enhance the flavour of the pasta, it brilliantly naturally dyes the pasta in such a vibrant colour that every one who sees it stops to stare and sometimes braves to try.  And when they do, they are so pleased with the earthy sharp and sweet flavours. 

The pasta that I had originally used was farfalle - the bow-shaped pasta which looked so pretty like a colourful pink butterflies.  I thought it was so apt because farfalla in Italian means butterfly.  I didn't get round to taking a photograph of the farfalle balsamic beetroot pasta, instead I used another pasta type to hand which in this case was mafalda corta, a ruffle shape found typical in the Campania region of Naples, Italy. 
This Balsamic Roasted Beetroot Pasta is actually quite a tasty pasta dish and its great cold for lunch. 
I am sharing this at Presto Pasta Nights (PPN). PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN #276 is actually being hosted by Ruth herself. 

28 comments:

  1. I love to play with beets. I will love trying this sometime this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what an amazing colour!

    Somehow this sounds like the sort of thing that's probably even better cold for lunch than hot first time round

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Look at the colour of that! I'm not a fan of beetroot, but I'd be tempted to try this because it's soo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an vibrant colour. Looks like something you'd find on a coral reef. I'm rather partial to beetroot so I might give it a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful...I am amassing quite a collection from your blog, you make cooking fun. I hope you and D are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother would love this pasta, he thinks anything that is red and contains chilli is delicious. The colour of the pasta does look rather shocking at first, but on closer look I think it's quite pretty! Do forgive my weird imagination, but I can't help getting this picture in my mind of your pasta on a table around which a group of sophisticated vampires crowd (the beautiful and dignified sort, not the savage looking ones)! I for one would gladly join them (to dine on the pasta, not to be one of them). I hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive visually. You should serve it with a salad made of yellow / orange-coloured tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... looks so delicious. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's what I love about beetroot, how it just dyes everything a gorgeous magenta. been making a lot of beetroot recipes lately too! this looks so girlishly pretty,especially with the bowtie shapes (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful colour! I have know other cooks to put beetroot into their bread and it turns out pink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! just look at that color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps: love those pies in your header picture.. you posted the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too easy not to try!!!Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had beetroot today. It is such a nice veg!
    I really like this pasta. A great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is so incredibly pink! I have just had some beetroot pasta (fresh beetroot puree mixed into the pasta dough) but yours is SO much brighter. All you need now is some romanesco cauliflower for a touch of green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so delicious! My boyfriend and I are always cooking and pasta is one of our favorite things to cook. Hopefully we get to try out this recipe sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how beets color everything this gorgeous gorgeous color!! This pasta is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love beets and this is such a beautiful dish! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shaheen,

    Having eaten this pasta dish at your lovely cafe I can highly recommend it!! Pretty and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beets are such a full flavored, wonderfully versatile vegetable, from leaf to root! Love this recipe and the photos...beautiful. You might be interested, saw a hummus today at the market made the regular way with chickpeas but livened with red beets. Must experiment ;-)

    As always, a season timely inspirational recipe, so appreciated. Thankyou.

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gardening Bren.
      Lovelyt to hear from you. I am so rushed off my feet so forgive me for not writing, I will try and catch up with my e mails etc. I made aq chickpea style hummus a while ago - see here.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/beetroot-and-chickpeas-dip.html
      hope your well x

      Delete
    2. I should have known!! Thank you for that. (should have checked your recipe files online))))

      No worries, know you are so so busy but in a good way.

      Delete
  21. Oh, wow, that really has taken on the colour beautifully :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing colour, very beautiful looking pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very good! I cook a similar pasta but I use Fusilli and I usually put some roasted almonds on the pasta :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You