Wednesday, 26 July 2017

Australian style Savoury Zucchini Slice

The joy of food blogging is you will find some like minded people who share recipes that truly inspire you that you really want to recreate at home.  It is one of the reasons I continue to blog.

This Australian Zucchini Slice recipe comes from Johanna who blogs over at Green Gourmet Giraffe.  Apparently it is one of the most popular recipes in Australia and may have been brought to Australia in the 1950s by an Italian migrant. Whatever its background, Zucchini Slice also happens to be one of Johanna's childhood favourites and its a recipe that I have had bookmarked since 2012 to make.  
Johanna actually has two Australian Zucchini Slice recipe, a vegetarian version made with facon bacon and a vegan version made with chickpea flour and tofu bacon. I did not have any facon bacon either home made or shop bought, though I could have made some over the weekend, but was impatient and the courgette harvest pile from the garden was mounting higher and higher each day. Plus what to make for dinner.

So instead I tried to mimic the smoky facon 'bacon' flavours with liquid smoke and smoked paprika, but the balance was not quite right as these additional flavours did not come through strong, still it made for a tasty side - very tasty in fact as D said it was delicious. Its savoury, light from the courgettes and rich in flavour from the cheese. 
One of my favourite vegetarian food writers Celia Brooks in her World Vegetarian Classics section of Australasia also shares a recipe for Zucchini Slice and writes' its a classic from  Australian Women's Weekly, an institution of great home cooking championed by generations of housewives'. 



Serves as a side with other vegetables.  We had loads left over that I think it would also be fantastic as part of a buffet table. 

I am sharing this with Bake of the Week hosted by Mummy Mishaps. and Casa Costello.

Australian Style Zucchini Slice from Green Gourmet Giraffe
Ingredients
75ml vegetable oil
1 onions, peeled and finely minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon pepper flakes
4 courgettes, grated
150g cheddar cheese, grated
5 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
165g self raising flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and saute the onions until tender, stir in the spices towards the end and cook for a few minutes, before turning of the heat to cool down.

In a wide bowl, stir in the remaining ingredients and then stir in the cooled flavoured onion well.
Scrape evenly into a Swiss roll tin that has been lined with non-stick paper.
Bake in oven at gas mark 4/180oc for 35 - 40 minutes.
Allow to cool, before slicing. 

10 comments:

  1. Mmm, yes that does look tasty! Cheese, courgettes and liquid smoke sound like a winning combination!
    I was given an Australian Womans Weekly vegetarian recipe book for Christmas - I must look it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda.
      I don't know if this recipe is in The vegetarian version of Australian Woman's Weekly, but you can hope.

      Delete
  2. Lovely that you finely got around to making this while on your zucchini marathon. It makes me feel all nostalgic and want to make it - you can see why it was popular when people had zucchini and chickens in their backyard and needed to use up lots of zucchinis and eggs! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna - yes finally!!!
      And so darn wish I had made it years ago, its DELICIOUS really.

      Delete
  3. great that you have made this recipe after all that time of firsts being it. Another fab way of using top your courgettes too. The slices look very light and I love the colours inside them. thank you for linking up to #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I am hoping to make it again this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked this. I remember when Johanna posted it, I felt unAustralian to never have tried it. I do recall seeing the slice at work lunches and the like though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really liked these Kari and I so want to make them again and I should. Perhaps you should give Johanna's vegan version a go sometime in the future :)

      Delete
  5. Oh yes I think most Aussies know and love some version of this!:). It's so delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I am hoping to make some more....indeed they were delicious.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You