Sunday, 9 January 2022

New Year but still much the same

Happy New Year.

It's been nearly two months since i blogged. I am not going to make excuses, my heart and mind are just is not in the same place, as it was when i first started blogging over a decade ago.  

Also nearly two years on: we are all still living through a pandemic; and every day is day to be grateful for and not to take anything or anyone for granted.  
I am not one for reflecting or making New Year resolutions, partly because i learned long ago that I was never good at keeping them, but there are two things that I intend to abide by.  To reconnect and continue to make new connections; and to ensure i take regular breaks whilst doing my day job.  I give it too much of me, and it gives me very little in return these days. 
It was another quiet festive holiday. Just D and me for our vegetarian Christmas Roast dinner and yes, of course our new fur friend who is now nearly 10 months.  I did have a go at making my own festive wreath for the first time.  I made it with seasonal leafy greens picked up from our forest walks with the puppy.  There were no red berries to be seen, so i decided to use the ornamental red chillies in the garden that were beginning to wane now.  My festive wreath was not abundant, but i was rather pleased with how it adorned our front door. 

I should let you know that I have not been doing any fancy or new experimental cooking.  Its another reason for the lack of blogging (not much to share); as well as feeling lethargic and brain fog. But what i have made regularly, are firm favourites that we return to often, many of which have been shared in my decade of blogging. 
There was plenty of cheese, crackers, olives, stuffed peppers, grapes, berry fruit and savoury snacks and a pumpkin feta pie in the centre garnished with pumpkin seeds.  

This cheese tray was brought over by my nephew and his partner O one evening.  It was such a delight to have guests, i nearly forgotten how it felt like to have people over. I know Sherry of Sherry's Pickings is taking a restful blog break from hosting In My Kitchen series, but I thought I'd still share a handful of things given to me over the festive season.  
My brother and niece came by briefly with pile high gifts. I was gifted lots of chocolate that D mostly ate. Tins with baking ingredients to make cupcakes, brownies and flapjacks. D got a jumper and socks!  You will also note some non-fiction books and a Nina Simone CD in the image above. These were gifted to me by D. I had watched 'Summer of Soul: Or When the Revolution Could not be Televised' and was reminded of the power of her words and songs. 

Okay, enough about me - how are my lovely and loyal readers doing? I will try and come by your blogs soon. 

19 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogging! I hope you find it more rewarding this time. Have a good year in 2022 -- I hope it's better for the earth and all its people.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about blogging and it’s no good if it becomes a chore. I keep mine as a diary so I continue but I can see that some fellow bloggers have fallen away over the last couple of years.
    Your cheese tray looks wonderful!
    Happy new year! Enjoy your pooch and don’t let work take you over x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      Yes, i have been saddened to lose connections with bloggers, esp. those who started around the same time as me - but understand.

      Delete
  3. Ticking along here, and blogging is a good way of keeping in contact.
    Selling bits on fleabay is taking too much time and housespace but it does bring in cash. Looking forward to decent gardening weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you gz.
      Yes, i think that is one of the reasons i want to keep blogging is to maintain contact, as well as record some things that are happening.

      Delete
  4. it is nice to hear your voice again. I think the two intentions you mentioned and agree they are too important not to do. I appreciated your statement of work taking too much and it is something i really needed to be reminded of. Thank you.
    I do love your wreath and enjoyed seeing a picture of your pup.

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Shaheen,
    ...what a sweet pup...glad you had a nice holiday...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Shaheen! I'm so glad to read you! This pandemis is getting on our nerves, nothing is "normal"... Stay safe!

    Your fur kis is absolutely adorable!!!!! Really really really!!!!!

    And this wreath... i love that. I love things that are done with what our garden offers. You succeeded marvelously.

    Flapjacks???? Thank you for the reminder! I'll make some for the kids. We discovered them the year we lived in the U.K. I think i have an old recipe... from a booklet i bought in a castle in Wales.

    Nina Simone! What a voice! What a musician! I love her!

    Wish you all you need for 2022. Take care; you are precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Such a lovely comment, warms my heart.

      Delete
  7. happy new year shaheen. hubby and i had a very quiet christmas too - just him and me for a chicken sandwich! Yes i am finding blogging a bit too much for me right now but i think i'll be happy to start up again in Feb. Take care
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. Enjoy the blog break and look forward to your return in Feb.

      Delete
  8. I understand how you feel about blogging. Somehow it's not super motivating right now and also my cooking hasn't been that creative lately, more the old classics. I will have a little blogging challenge coming up soon and it would be great if you could participate. No pressure though!

    Your Christmas sounds quite lovely, as much as it can be these days and I really love your selfmade wreath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. I will indeed try to join in, but cannot promise, but will try - of course.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Shaheen. Lovely to see you blogging - you have been missed! Sorry to hear that WFH is a drag - your photo of your furry friend is lovely with the warm golden light indoors even though grey and grim outdoors. I also covet your cheese platter. Like you I am not cooking much lately and miss that but it is hard with little energy and so little entertaining. Love your wreath - chillies seem perfect for you. And glad you had the treat of your nephew and partner coming over. Every little pleasure means so much in these grim times! Take care and best of luck with 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. Yeah, my furry friend has their moments. Def. getting photographed a lot these days and that is not by me. The cheese platter was pretty amazing and tasty too.

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to hear you've been feeling foggy and disconnected of late. That's so sadly on the increase as the pandemic drags on and on. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your mental state--more connection to those and that which you love, especially. That makes all the difference, I think.

    I always enjoy seeing what is happening in your Welsh kitchen. It is inspiring and educational and has a beautiful, earthy aesthetic. But, never feel any pressure to write on behalf of me (and, presumably, other readers like me). It takes a lot of time and energy and soul to organize your thoughts, write the words, take and select the photos. Take the time, if the spirit moves you, but otherwise be gentle with yourself and do what feels best. We'll be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Beth, really appreciated x and thank you so much for such a beautiful description of happenings in my kitchen, means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You