As mentioned in a previous blog post, last week was the first time since the Coronavirus pandemic started that we went over the border into England and then Bristol
I have missed really Bristol.
We had plans way before the pandemic to go and see The Seven Saints of St Paul's, but we were never organised enough to track them down. Wandering down a side street and getting distracted by other street art. Above is Owen Henry.
Unfortunately, we only saw three of the Seven Saints of St Paul's, so our plan is to be more organised the next time we visit Bristol and locate them, as we found ourselves going round and round a couple of times. But if you can't wait for my next visit and want to learn more about the Seven Saints of St Paul's. Here is a link to a piece Memorials and Black Joy in Bristol; and some shorts of each of the Saint of St Pauls.
Here is a close up.
I
So we sat outside, watching some local volunteers clearing up, bottles and rubbish from the communal green area. I admired this is an image of ackee painted on the walls. I was reminded that i have a tin of it in my kitchen cupboards still to use - no doubt, it past its best before date.
D spotted this mosaic work on the ground. It depicts a slave ship and the Bristol slave trade.
I also loved this bit of art made from bricks. There is one in my hometown, which i adore just as much.
If your interested in Bristol Graffiti Art, you will may be interested in visiting some of my past blog posts below.
Bristol Graffiti Art for the People
Graffiti Art Down Bristol Alleys
Stokes Croft: Relentless Optimism
Stokes Croft: Part of Bristol Graffiti Art
Graffiti Art Down Bristol Alleys
Stokes Croft: Relentless Optimism
Stokes Croft: Part of Bristol Graffiti Art
St Pauls Graffiti Art
Welcome to Bristol Graffiti Art Part 1
Welcome to Bristol Graffiti Art Part 2
Graffiti Art and vegan Junk Food
This is a statue of Alfred Fagon - a Black British playwright Welcome to Bristol Graffiti Art Part 1
Welcome to Bristol Graffiti Art Part 2
Graffiti Art and vegan Junk Food
Alfred Fagon was the first Black person to have a statue erected in their honour in the city. Unfortunately it was vandalised during the Bristol Black Lives Matters Anti-Racism protests. I was pleaded to see it restored.
Not far from Afred Fagon statue, we saw this mural. It reminded me of one in Glasgow at the Barra's Market.Here is a close up.
I
A rare image of me walking the puppy in St Paul's. I must admit it's really hard to navigate the city streets with a puppy. I was really tired when we got back home.
We stumbled across a community cafe and thought we would stop for a bite to eat, but we were too early as this community cafe did not open its doors until mid-day, and it was a Sunday. So we sat outside, watching some local volunteers clearing up, bottles and rubbish from the communal green area. I admired this is an image of ackee painted on the walls. I was reminded that i have a tin of it in my kitchen cupboards still to use - no doubt, it past its best before date.
D spotted this mosaic work on the ground. It depicts a slave ship and the Bristol slave trade.
A poster of Rosa Parks and the Bus Boycott's in the US. Did you know in 1963 Bristol had its own Bus Boycott?!


















Hi Shaheen,
ReplyDelete...what a great tour!
~Have a lovely day!
Thank you Teresa
DeleteThis was not only an aesthetically pleasing post, but I learned a lot, too. Thanks for all the links.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beth. I've just shared part 2, but not the remainder of the 7 Saints, that requires another visit.
DeleteSounds like a nice trip - love the photo of you and puppy! The St Paul's Saints sounds like a great series - they are such lovely artwork but also a great way to change people's approach to history - I read some of the bristols musuems information and wish I had time to read more as there were so many interesting links I came across over a few pages. And am so glad the alfred fagon statue could be restored - what a shame it was vandalised.
ReplyDeleteThank you Johanna. It was nice to be back in Bristol, even tho we avoided the city centre, it was hard with the puppy, but i am looking forward to going back again.
DeleteGreat post! I do like Bristol, such a beautiful city. The wall art is so impressive and it is fun to go on a graffiti art tour. I look forward to doing it again but in the meantime I’ll follow your links.
ReplyDeleteHope your pup I still causing mayhem 😄
Thanks Belinda, the pup is def. causing mayhem - but we love him.
DeleteThe slave trade depiction is especially poignant. Thanks for sharing these and glad you D and pup are well.
ReplyDeleteThank you e. We are well thank you, i do come by your blog, and have noted change of format. Do hope your keeping well too.
Deletegreat to see you and the puppy!
ReplyDelete