Friday, 23 July 2021

Up and Down Brean Down

One of the places, we went to during my week holiday in early July was Brean in Somerset, England.  
We had decided to go to The Nation Trust Brean Down.
and Brean Sands Beach.  If you click on this image right at the back on the beach you will see two people...more about them if you read on.
We noted a young man going over markings on the sand with a large rake.  It was upon approaching the older man, that we realised it was a local Sand Artist who was using a compass to create detailed geometrical designs.  I did ask him what he was making, but his voice was a bit faint, that i thought he said a snowflake, but I could not be sure and felt rude to ask him to repeat. I pondered on the idea of snowflake and wondered if he was making going to make a political statement. I was lookign forward to seeing completed design, to which he advised would be ready at around 4pm.  I looked at my watch, we had only got there and it was about 9.30am.  He said the best view would be from the top (see above image).  

So after walking the beach with the puppy, here he is on a seaweed rock, looking a handsome but grumpy. 
We braced ourselves for the long walk up, this is the starting point of Brean Down 
Upwards towards the sky to get a 360o view.

Because we were so early, I could take my time walking up and taking stops for a breather as well as admire the view 
When we got to the top - breathless, this was one of the views that met us.  You could see how much the sand art had progressed


Me and the pup walking on ahead
Further progress of the sand art design from the top of Brean Down.

Although the Brean Down Fort was not our destination, it was in sight
Finally, we got there and had a sit down and bite to eat. 

It was about 2pm when we called it a day and decided to walk back down the steep and head back home.  This was the last view we saw of the sand art.  We never worked out what it was.  On leaving, i thought it looked more like a tortoise, rather than a snowflake.  
A few days after, i decided to google what this was; and the Internet showed that the completed sand art was actually a huge honeycomb shaped design.  Read more here.  It comprised of 37 hexagons joined together across 190 metres of the Brean Beach. 
So what did we eat, as well as having a vegan Curried Vegetable Pasty from the cafe, we also had home-made Salsa Verde Pasta with homegrown courgettes.  It was not overly exciting, but it's made hit the spot when your hungry and wish you had packed more to eat for a long journey, knowing that you won't have energy to cook when you got back home. It's been a while, but I am sharing this yellow and green pasta lunch with  with Soup, Salad and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen. 

14 comments:

  1. That looks like a tiring walk, but so worth for those views. Clearly that tree is used to being wind swept high up there!
    I have followed Simon Beck’s snow art before so am excited for you to have seen him in action on the sands - what luck! I love his patterns on such a huge scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was Belinda. It's def. a trip to take some homemade grub and drinks with you. Wow, i am so thrilled that you know the artist, its so admirable the time, effort, energy and thought that goes into it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! The view from the top is stunning!
    I miss so much panoramas like that!
    Your fur kid is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, indeed my fur friend is adorable and getting more adorable by the day. The view was stunning, and although i did not like the idea of walking up those steps, i was glad i did it and more glad that we were some of the first people there as it was manic when we were leaving

      Delete
  3. It looks like a great trip and I love your puppy! ;-) Thanks for sharing your pasta salad at Souper Sundays this week--it's always nice to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I haven't been blogging much, but as you know - will join in when i can.

      Delete
  4. So glad to see your share back on Souper Sundays. Your photos are beautiful and it looks like such a peaceful serene area. I usually pack our food for outings and always wish I had a little more..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judee. I'd love to join in every week, but work is tiring that i do not blog as frequently as i used to.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen,
    ...what a fun walk on the beach...and that sand art work is amazing...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That is a GOREGOUS place! Ooooooh the green! And the blue! Beautiful. I bet it was a wonderful place for a wander. The sand art is super neat! Talk about some patience and vision (and math!) I really enjoy the transitory nature of that kind of art. Here and then gone.

    Your dog is cute. Even when he's grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - indeed a gorgeous place and you can see why its popular with tourists. Yeah, def. math for that art work and a COMPASS!

      Delete
  7. Looks like an interesting day - I love the sand artist, the views and the fort. Sounds so nice to get out into nature (we are on our last day of lockdown and I am looking forward to getting out and about a bit more)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. We are now out of lockdown in Wales with many of the restrictions uplifted, but i must admit i will be tentative and cautious.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You