Sunday, 21 February 2021

Yellow Pea Soup with Red Pepper and Tofu Croutons

Too much turmeric in a dish can be overpowering and that is what happened with this Yellow Pea Soup .  It was edible though, albeit not the flavour i was quite expecting.  

To tone down the turmeric yellow flavour and colour, i first added in some minced red pepper for sweetness and for a change,. I also  made tofu croutons that were fried in a little olive oil and fried until golden on sides to add a bit of body.  It was okay but nothing to get excited about.
However, on the following day, when i decided to through some chopped spinach from the garden and honestly, it made such a difference to the whole soup.  I think it made it even better I think, but no photographs and I regret it. Still, I am not going to share the recipe as it's not one I'd recommend highly. Even though it was not such a good soup, i will still share it with Soup, Salad and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen only because i like participating and admiring other contributors contributions
The soup is all gone, so next few days we will be tucking on another homemade Cheese and Onion quiche - just like school days .  
Here it is, still to have its pastry sides trimmed down, so don't go judging for poor presentation. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, i am going to perch myself on the sofa now having finished cooking for the day and watch some nonsense.   

11 comments:

  1. I had turmeric in my soup this week too but luckily it didn't overpower. It's a pretty color and I like the idea of the tofu croutons. Thanks for joining in Souper Sundays--it"s always great to have you.

    And BTW--that quiche looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet, the soup looks tasty. Glad you saved it from the turmeric. :) That quiche looks amazing as well. Hope you perfect the recipe and share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of tofu croutons! Very different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judee. Yeah, they made a change.

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how a day being set aside will do wonders for many soups and stews - glad this one came together for you finally - I love the yellow colour but not sure I would love too much turmeric. I would love the cheese and onion pie - if only we had those at school I would have been very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so right Johanna. The spinach did make it better and tone down the turmeric. Cheese and onion quiche, chips and salad was my favourite school dinner and for desert, chocolate (concrete) crunch with pink custard....

      Delete
  5. Never too much turmeric ;-)
    Yellow pea soup is traditionnal up here and i LOOOOOOVE it! Tofu croutons are a super nice garnish!
    Hope you enjoy your pause on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ephee, honestly - you would have found this overpowering, it was a bit much and this is from a person who has grown up with turmeric. It was a good w/e, looking forward to the next one. How are you doing?

      Delete
    2. Looking forward for the next w\e too!!!! And it will be "spring" (haha!) break next week so... no school!!!!!
      Spent my morning shoveling snow ;-(
      Hope you are well and can enjoy cooking, and maybe plan next summer allotment???? -)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You