There was a tweet that went out Sunday night that read 'Can't believe it's back to Teams and Zoom Tomorrow' (meaning Monday) with a person holding their head with a cigarette. It's captured exactly how i (minus the cigarette)and many others returning to back to work felt yesterday.
It was good to have the whole week off. Switching off. I made the most of my time. Its been nice, just reading some non fiction books, watching nonsense and not so nonsense TV, but as I said before in regards to cooking and baking, I haven't done much of late. I had wanted to make Johanna's Gingerbread Cookies for the festive holidays and decorate them individually and then share with the people in my life, but it never happened. I hope I live to be able to make and share them in 2021- well, nothing is to be taken for granted now.
Do you want to hear something funny, well its not that funny . Although we ate well on Christmas Day: Roast potatoes, homegrown carrots, steamed cauliflower, swede, Yorkshire Pudding and mock 'meat' slices. It was the first time, we have ever had vegetarian Christmas Day Roast dinner without the Brussel sprouts or any greens on the plate. But then again, this wasn't a traditional Christmas at home. There was no tinsel, crackers to pull, sparkly bubbles to drink and burp on, baubles to hang from the Christmas tree. It' was also the first time we have not put up the Christmas tree. This was a decision we came to together. We are at home all the time now, whereas previously it was nice to come in from a long day at work and turn the festive colourful lights on and be warmed and delighted by it, but we decided not to this time as it would not feel the same. Festive cheer is not in abundance right now, but that is not to say we were miserable, we were not - we are content and feel fortunate in so many other ways.
It was also the first time we chose not buy presents for each other, that is not to say i have not had anything. I have amassed a selection of new books, but to your surprise none of which are cookbooks. I don't need anymore cookbooks, i really don't, saying that though - I did have one on my 'wish list', but when D went to order it it was out of stock/unavailable at the time. So I will return to that again in the future, as I am still hoping it will come through the letter box like a welcome surprise.
Like I said, I haven't cooked much, but we had some leeks growing in the garden, so I made a Leek and Potato soup and this Leek and Red Pepper Quiche' which I dubbed it Festive Quiche because of the colours. Look I even tried to make a tree pattern - rather unsuccessfully.
We also had some avocados that were ripening and I decided to make this Avocado Pie. It was a bit of a mistake as it was way to rich and too much for the two of us and it had to be eaten on the day, as avocado once mushed - like Guacamole does not keep well. But it was nutty, garlicky crust base made from cashews and wholemeal breadcrumbs was quite nice
Anyway, on Sunday in readiness for being stuck in front of the works laptop for hours, I made lunch. I do miss the ritual of putting it into lunch boxes, but I must say it much nicer to be eating out of a bowl. This Orzo Salad was made with pesto sauce left over from the Puff Pastry Tree nibbles. It was bulked up with other ingredients that came from open jars, like black olives and sundried tomatoes. The only fresh ingredient was spring onions. It was easy to make and even easier to eat. I am sharing my bowl of Orzo Salad with Pesto Sauce with I am sharing with Soup, Salad and Sammies hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.
Orzo Salad with Pesto Sauce
Serves 4For the dressing
4 tablespoons green pesto
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
250 orzo pasta, cooked
4 Spring onions, sliced
30g sundried tomatoes, chopped
30g black olives, chopped
Method
Whisk the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined.
Allow to sit for a few hours before serving.




That sounds like a good salad to make. We were home on our own for Christmas too, no big tree up, but we did have a small turkey to cook. I've got a big turkey in the freezer for when it is safe for a whole family to get back together. I'm visiting from Souper Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda for coming by. It's good to hear that you made the most of your festive holiday and hope you get to make that big celebratory meal in the near future when it is safe to do so.
DeleteYummy!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was back to zoom (teaching) too ...
Your leek quiche is beautiful!
Wish you the best!
Good to hear from you, yeah both zoom and Microsoft Teams are part and parcel of our lives in a way, we had never imagined. Glad you like the look of the quiche, i am making another as tend to have a lot of eggs in the fridge these days.
DeleteHappy New Year Shaheen,
ReplyDelete2020 was such a strange year...wishing you and yours all the best for 2021...
~Have a lovely day!
Thank you so much and wish you the same too.
DeleteI'd be sad not to have a tree and I enjoyed having mine up this year for a bit of cheer - though it wasn't that cheerful when it fell down. I enjoyed coming home to it or having the lights on in the evening. But sounds like you had a very nice christmas meal. I haven't had new vegetarian cookbooks for a while - though I still look at them in shops - but I don't use them enough to justify it. You seem to have made some nice meals and I agree it is so much easier to eat lunch at home than at the office (I am always a little distrustful of office crockery). Hope getting back to work is not too gloomy and that you have lots of greens and hope in the year ahead!
ReplyDeleteYeah it was a bit strange, esp. as we could see neighbours flashing in their windows with festive lights. The last cookbook i got jsut before lockdown was Vegan Japan Easy by UK Masterchef winner Tim Anderson, its really for beginners, but i was tempted - so hoping to still find something in their to make at some point.Re back to work this week - it was actually not too bad, i think that is partly because not everyone was back. Tomorrow is proper back to work mindset. Thank you so much for the warmness as always.
DeleteYour idea of ‘not cooking’ is different from mine 🙂 Your leek and pepper flan looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteBack to work though, ho-hum, the first week went very quickly but I think I need to book some regular time off to stop it being such a drag! Best wishes Shaheen, I hope that surprise arrives one day 😊
Haha, yeah i still do a bit, but not what i'd call proper cooking though :) Thank you, yes i am still waiting for that surprise too.
DeletePs. I like your new header collage
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I have to credit my husband for it, like the food pictures which he takes mostly.
DeleteIt all looks so good! I need to use orzo in more pasta salads--yum!! Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.
ReplyDelete