It's been a busy week and I must admit, I was glad for the weekend to come.
I have never missed a deadline and I was not intending to start now. So when the deadline was met with an hour to spare, I called it a day, but I did not feel guilty about it as it had already been a longer working day, and week for me.
This Lemon Orzo with Broccoli was made early this week for lunch in between work and I am glad for days, when lunch is prepped and ready to go. The citrus piquancy that had infused the orzo and the broccoli was appreciated by D as he does like lemons. There's also a little sweetness from the sundried tomatoes and a scattering of toasted pumpkin seeds. If you do make these, only toss in the pumpkin seeds when your ready to serve, otherwise they will get damp and lose their crunch.
I am sharing this Lemon Orzo with Broccoli recipe with Soup, Salad and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.
Lemon Orzo with Broccoli
Serves 2-4
Ingredients
Grated zest of 2 lemons
100ml fresh lemon juice
2 small onions or shallots, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
50ml olive oil
250g broccoli florets, steams until tender
250g orzo, cooked and drained
8 sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and cut into strips
Optional: 30g pumpkin seeds, tasted in oven gas mark 4 for 5 minutes.
Remove and set aside
Method
Whisk the lemon, olive oil, shallots and salt and pepper in a large bowl, then stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined.
Allow to sit for an hour before serving.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Then serve - scattering over optional toasted pumpkin seeds.
Adapted from Entertaining Vegetarians Celia Brooks


Yummy! Having lunches ahead is so great! I love that. Love the taste of lemon and brocoli too. This is a really nice recipe!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ephee.
DeleteThis pasta salad looks so fresh and delicious and I love the crunchy pumpkin seeds on top. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week!
ReplyDeleteThank you Deb.
DeleteSuch like such a tasty combination of flavors- of course we love anything made with lemon..
ReplyDeleteThank you Judee
DeleteYummy! You make me realize how long it has been since we've made orzo. Hmmmm... I wonder why that is! Anyhoo, I hope your week ahead is a bright one!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Hope you make something with orzo soon.
DeleteI love seeing your work lunches - they always look good and this is definitely something I would welcome for lunch. I have had a few more rice salads lately and thought of you as inspiration! (Yes I know orzo is not rice but it looks like a rice salad)
ReplyDeleteThank you Johanna, not always exciting but always edible.
Delete