Sunday, 27 September 2020

Baby Tomato Kofta with Smoky Tomato Sauce

So how is your weekend going?!

The part of Wales i live in is in another lockdown.  Not as severe as the first as peopleare still able to go out and about, and moreso to the supermarket, but within regional boundaries.  It is NOW mandatory to wear a face mask which i think should have been the case in the first place, but hey the local government thinks it knows best.  I think in not too long, the whole of Wales will be in lockdown.  Not much for me has changed since the first lockdown, but that does not mean i have got used to it, far from it - we are all managing and coping in our own way. I am finding distractions at home - I have been doing a lot of reading, and attending on-line learning sessions - but there is only so much a person can take staring at the computer and zoom calls.  So I am always thankful for the garden space that is still feeding us well.

I've not ventured very far - that is the honest truth.  I have been out of my area three times to see family and friends and that is all and it was all socially distanced unable to kiss and hug.  And on those days went to the supermarket with D.  D has been doing the weekly shopping.
Anyway i made this Cypriot recipe called Domatokeftethes - Baby Tomato Kofta some time last week. The cookbook author writes ' this is kind of based on a Lenten Cypriot recipe. But it's got a splosh of Armenian ad a sprinkle of Turkey in there too'. 
On recommendation of the cookbook author I served it over pasta.
Then smothered with smoky paprika tomato sauce. The recipe i bookmarked from Sally Butcher's Veggiestan: A Vegetable Lover's tour of the Middle East.
It was my first time shallow frying tomatoes.  I must admit i was a bit nervous because of the liquid content in tomatoes, as i had expected some spluttering. But the not so pretty  batter above, benefited from sitting the fridge to firm up. I guess this also absorbs some of the liquid content. 

The Domatokeftethes - Baby Tomato Kofta  are shallow fried in oil and were a little reminisce of South Asian onion bhaji's minus the spices.  
We had plenty left over to eat the following day - cold.  I am sharing this Cypriot Baby Tomato Kofta with Smoky Tomato sauce with Soup, Salad and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen

11 comments:

  1. I quite agree about the masks, if only to remind some people that there is a pandemic across the world 🙄 Take care and keep cooking these drool-creating dishes 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. I am hardly goign ut so avoiding these idiots, but D has been getting so frustrated with it. He had said he has noticed some improvement at the supermarket, i will be going with him tomorrow, so can bear witness. You take care too and thank you for coming by and commenting, means a lot, even more so in these times when we are craving human connectivity.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I love Domatokeftethes. For some reason that i don't understand, i rarely prepare small bites like that. Too lazy i guess ;-(

    We are in the second wave here too (Québec). So sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is good to hear that you like these, but i can understand why you would not make them often - less shallow or deep fried food :) by the way wanted to say thank you for coming by and commenting, means a lot, even more so in these times when we are craving human connectivity.

      Delete
    2. You are so kind! Hope you can surf on this second wave without too much sadness. And of course, without the COvid!

      Delete
  3. We are at the other end of lockdown and have just had some restrictions eased - this lockdown was more restrictions than the first and was tougher to endure - but like you most of the changes don't make a difference to me - except the schools go back earlier which is great. I am sorry to hear you are starting lockdown but at least you are in autumn - and the evidence about masks seems to be that these make a difference so that is good people are wearing them - though I hope we are not having to wear them in heat waves! Your koftas look delicious - I hope your garden gives a sense of time passing even if we are missing other milestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna, that is interesting. The lockdown in Wales is not as strict as the first as we are permitted to go out and about, just within our regional area (within the border). Also wanted to say thank you for always coming by and commenting, means a lot, even more so in these times when we are craving human connectivity. No heatwaves here, they ahve passed as we steadily move into autumn now.

      Delete
  4. Shaheen, Like you we stay in as well. We have been fortunate in Philadelphia area suburbs that the numbers are low. However, we are snowbirds and usually go to Florida for the winter. Florida is another story- numbers are higher.How do I find the Domatokeftethes -recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee. I didn't want to put the cookbooks authors recipe as i haven't made much in the way of changes to it(excpet replacing the spring onions with chives), but this recipe is the closest to the one in the cookbook. https://souvlakiforthesoul.com/tomato-fritters-domatokeftedes-recipe/

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your tomato dish this week at Souper Sundays. It looks delicious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You