The first was this Plantain and Chickpeas Curry. I have to admit, I can take my heat, but the quantities of some of the spices had my heart beat racing -1 tablespoon chilli powder, 6 tablespoons curry powder suffice to say I did reduce the amount of these, but everything else I followed to the recipe. Oops better mention, that I also forgot to pick up a Scoth Bonnet so added some of the red birds chillies.
I've found the recipe online to share the link with you, but I must point out there are some inconsistencies between the cookbook and the online version. The book serves four, but the recipe on the website serves a large crowd and was made with 8 plantains, not the 4 in the cookbook Plantain and Chickpeas Curry from Original Flava Caribbean Recipes ,
For me the Plantain and Chickpeas Curry. was intensely curried in flavour, D enjoyed it. We had it over two days. I would make it again, but perhaps use the on-line reicpe next time as no changes would be necessary as it makes a larger batch.
The other recipe was for Coconut Curry Stew .that I adapted as I didn;t have all the ingrednets such as chocho (chayote and yellow yam and okra.
My version has butternut squash, sweet potatoes and spinach and of course plantains. Here is a link to the originak recipe for Coconut Curry Stew.
I am sharing this blog post featuring Original Flava Caribbean Recipes from Home by Craig and Shaun McAnuff with Weekend Cooking Event hosted by Beth Fish Reads, a weekly event that is open to anyone who has any kind of food related post to share.





I haven't cooked with plantains very often. The two recipes shared here makes me want to experiment.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beth
DeletePlantains are one of my favourites. I don't cook with them enough because they're a bit of a trip to pick up, so I tend to buy a load sporadically and cook with them a few times in one week. So two recipes with plantains in = just what I need. I really like the sound of chick pea and plantain stew.
ReplyDeleteIm like you i don't cook with them much either for the same reason as its a trip for me to pick them up, often Bristol! The plantain and chickpea stew was good, but very 'curried'
DeleteVery interesting. I've never cooked with plantains, I've only had them in Cuban restaurants as fried and sweetened.
ReplyDeleteThanks Judee. Ive had them fried, but never sweetened.
DeleteCaribbean cuisine is fascinating! I enjoyed your post.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Thank you Mae
DeleteI usually use plantains for my Cuban themed meals but you have opened a new avenue for me here! This looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Tina. You have me intrigued - do you have a vegan Cuban recipe to share, please.
DeleteI have tried plantain before but only with African flavours. This could be interesting to try!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marg
DeleteI should get that book. I love plantains and grew up eating them fried because that was how they were cooked in Panama. Here, in the Cuban community, they are prepared in the oven and more savory than sweet. How did you find the taste of this recipe?
ReplyDeleteIts not a vegetarian book by the way, should mention that but it does have enough in their for the likes of me, hence why i have it. The first recipe was very curried, the second was okay - i don't think i'll be making the second one in a hurry though, but the chickpea and plantain one i will for sure.
DeletePS: New post on Breakfast...thanks for your visit!
ReplyDelete:)
DeleteThose both look really good!
ReplyDelete~Have a lovely day!
Thank you Teresa
DeleteOOh Vicki your kitchen sounds inviting
ReplyDeleteI am yet to try plantains so these look quite adventurous - and a bit too spicy - for me! I don't think I could try Scotch Bonnet!!!! But maybe plantains one day
ReplyDeleteI hope you get to try plantain Johanna.
DeleteAnother great dish that I would be more than happy to scoff away! I would definitely reduce the heat, as I can't take it so well.
ReplyDeleteThanks VegHog - these days i too reduce the heat, i can no longer tolerate it as i was once able to, not sure why. Good to hear from you - hope your well.
Delete