Monday, 1 March 2021

Some Welsh Things in My kitchen for St David's Day

I know every month, I come with the same excuse that there is not much new in my kitchen, but it is true.  However, I do very much enjoy participating with In My Kitchen that Sherry's Pickings hosts, so with it being St David's Day and me being Welsh and living in Wales - I thought, i'd share some Welsh things in my kitchen.  
Starting off with mandatory Tea-towels. 
Welsh language Tea Towel.
Another Welsh Tea-towel. This one is stapled to one of the ones and shows The Six Points of the People's Charter.
I've showcased this chopping board before on my blog, but I couldn't resist sharing it again.  It reads in Welsh 'Homemade Bread made with Love'. 
Wooden Welsh Spoon - another gift that hangs on the kitchen walls.
Welsh Leeks - sadly not from the garden, but the supermarket.
In my kitchen you will also find some Welsh cookbooks.  

Below are links to some rather original Welsh recipes, that I have made over the past few years, a number of which are made with Laverbread - a Welsh delicacy and described by Richard Burton as Welsh Caviar.

26 comments:

  1. In my recent reading about the English (and also Welsh, Irish, and Scottish) breakfast I read quite a few recipes for laverbread and things to do with it! I love your collection.

    Be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tea towels are almost making me cry! I bought a few of these in Whales... in Chepstow... Cardiff... and they remind me so nice souvenirs... I also have 2 or 3 little booklets with traditional recipes ... I MUST make a welsh day up here in Québec!
    Wish you a perfect week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased it brought a warm reaction for you. I have those little booklets too, i should've taken a picture of them to share. Maybe next year now. And yes indeed, do celebrate St David'd Day wherever you are :)

      Delete
  3. hi shaheen
    thanks so much for joining us at IMK. lovely to have you. and i love all your welsh things. that spoon of course ... looks like you've made quite a few welsh dishes too. and you know i love tea towels! hope your st david's day was great.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. Indeed, yes i have with laverbread and would loved to have this year, but not been to Cardiff where i usually pick up my fresh laverbread.

      Delete
  4. Love your teatowels - I haven't had a new tea towel for ages so it is nice to see some pretty ones on your blog. I always forget St David's Day until I ready your blog - thanks for continuing to wave the welsh flag in your corner of the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, i had a third with Land of my Fathers that i did not get to share as D had dug it out and was using in the kitchen, hence a little grubby.

      Delete
  5. Oooooh. I love this post! Very cool. Those tea towels are beautiful and I had to enlarge the photo and read every single word. I love language. So fascinating. Not sure I've been exposed to much Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Do a search on my blog and you will find some other links to Welshy things and the language

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoyed your weekend classes. I love these peeks into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. Yes it was very enjoyable, but also very tiring. I am looking forward to my w/e though

      Delete
  7. Shaheen, thank you for sharing this beautiful display of Welsh IMK things. Fascinating and fun! Loved the quote by Richard Burton, too. I had to Google "laverbread." :) Thanks for your recipe links, too... your Welsh Woman's version sounds like it's a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dragon chopping board is so cool. I posted a Happy St David's day on Instragram with the dragon and daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, that board was thanks to my nephew - a very considerate young man indeed.

      Delete
  9. Oh those tea towels are just fabulous! I hope you had a nice St David's day. I regularly say to my partner that I miss Wales, as we once had a wonderful summer holiday in Llandudno and Snowdonia. I really hope that we can go back some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog.
      We had a zoom thing at work, it was for a bit of a laugh.
      I hope that you get to visit the UK and Wales again, some day, though i don't think the politics would have changed much sadly.

      Delete
  10. Your tea towels have caused a stir :-)
    Have you come across the Radical Tea Towel Company? It’s great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda, Yes - indeed. The third one featured i think has come from The Radicial Tea Towel company via ... I love their stuff and be happy if people gave me gift vouchers for it :)

      Delete
  11. I love that you shared this. I covet that Welsh spoon (and those tea towels!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. The Welsh spoon was a gift, it has my name on it and everyone likes the tea towels, must admit its made me happy.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the glimpse into all things Welsh in your kitchen. I have to look up laverbread on Google, it's such fun to find out something new. I, for one, think there's a lot going on in your kitchen. Thank you for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Liz. Your comment pleases me.

      Delete
  13. I don't think I knew anything about anything Welsh till your post! I really adore that wooden spoon, so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much,this comment really makes me happy

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You