Friday, 4 August 2017

Homegrown Rhubarb Strawberry Chia Seed Crumble

I made this Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble with the addition of chia seeds in the oat topping a few weeks back.

Since then the strawberries in the garden have come to a halt, I have to admit they have not been as productive this year as they have previous years.  Perhaps they are getting old and I need to renew the ground with new strawberry plants.  Also I have noted the wild strawberries from the neighbours garden are creeping into ours, oppressing the growth of the traditional strawberries with vigorous leafage growth. 
The rhubarb plant however is doing fabulously, emerging from the earth in true style . 



I have loads more rhubarb sticks to pick, but this is the first rhubarb recipe of the year.
The rolled oats were a lot more larger than the ones I normally use which made this crumble a little more chewier, but still very nice to eat covered in a blanket of double cream.  You can have custard if you want, but its been a little warm for that I think.
Adapt any Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble recipe you use.  Just stir in 1 - 2 teaspoons chia seed in the crumble topping.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love a bite of that, especially since I've been eating boxed microwave food for weeks while the kitchen had renovation...no birthday dinner or cake today, waiting for countertops to set up...will go back and read your post about public art. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen renovation will be worth it, hope it does not take longer than it should and time for you to start cooking you own again. Belated Birthday wishes to you too.

      Delete
  2. sounds lovely - I have had rhubarb in the fridge for ages and finally stewed it tonight - was so nice that I wondered why it had taken so long - and now this post tempts me to buy more for a crumble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, it was okay. Stewed rhubarb , i should do that as we always have Greek yogurt in the fridge and they would be good together.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely looking crumble Shaheen. I love the combination of rhubarb and strawberry.... they taste so great together. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its a common combo, but we love it esp. in season.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry your strawberry yield hasn't been quite as good. This is a gorgeous crumble though - what a great idea to add chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, it started very well - then I don't know what happened. The chia seeds made for an interesting change in the texture, but it also made the crumble topping look a little dirty, but it tasted good.

      Delete
  5. I hope the strawberries are just having an off season and will bounce back before too long. You've just reminded me I need to get some more rhubarb in my life. Rhubarb crumble makes me think of food I ate as a kid, in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, but i think they may be just getting old. They were there when we moved in, so def. need replacing next year. I will be pulling some of them out come garden clear out day. Hope you trak down some rhubarb.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You