Monday, 16 June 2014

Goji Berry British Style Scones

I am really humbled to share with you that I have been invited to become part of the new Suma Wholefoods Blogger's Network.  Many of you will have heard of Suma, but for those of you who have not Suma Wholefoods are a workers co-operative committed to ethical business. Suma are the U.K's largest independent wholefood wholesalers of vegetarian, fair-trade, natural and organic produce.  They have an impressive selection of vegetarian and vegan products to choose from (including these goji berries used for these home-made scones).  
So what's my role as 1 of 12 Suma Bloggers Network?  Every two months, I will be able to choose a number of products from the Suma on-line catalogue.  I will then create an original recipe on my blog, that in turn will be shared on their network.  
I would wholeheartedly like to say Thank you to Amy and the team at Suma Wholefooods for the kind invitation to be part of Suma, it is truly a pleasure and humbling.    

Okay now onto the recipe, I make a point of highlighting that these are British style scones as there are plenty of triangular style scones on blogosphere and| wanted to make the scones we enjoy in the U.K. 

Whenever I make scones at home which actually isn't that often at all, memories come flooding back of school days and home economics class.  I disliked cooking and baking when I was small, so its quite funny that my blog is about food.  Disappointing rock hard raisin scones were one of the very first recipes I ever made at school, (the other that comes to mind was Welsh Onion Cake, which was raw on the inside).   
I know I will never be able to make those mile high scones that you see at fancy eateries, what on earth do they do to make them rise that high?  Pile two scones on top of each other, just before baking? I don't know, do you the secret of scones rising?!  Still I was very I was quite pleased with these Goji Berry studded scones.   Goji berries are strong in flavour, a little bit bitter and a little bit sweet.  Its often compared to cranberry and cherries, even acai berries, but I can't confirm that as I have never had acai berries in its real form, only blended in smoothies and fruit juices. 
Well you know that scones are best enjoyed fresh on the day that they are made, with this in mind, I took some over to some of my family members .  These scones are not overly sweet so I thought they would be rejected by some of my family, but once sliced and packed with freshly whipped cream and Suma Pear and Apple Spread, these are delicious. One of my brothers told the little ones to save him an extra scone!  For me that is a sign of approval.



If yo do choose to make this recipe and I so hope you do, please note that I do specify in the recipe instructions that you soak the goji berries for ten minutes or so.  The reason I say soak the goji berries is to minimize those on the surface from going dark and bitter, but if you miss this step, no worries as you will see them studded inside the scones will be red as Dorothy's red slippers glistening bright as ever. 
Goji Berry Scones
Ingredients
Makes about 8
300g plain flour
3 generous teaspoons baking powder
3 generous teaspoons golden caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
40g unsalted butter
150ml-160ml butter
50g Suma dried goji berries, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, then drained and set aside
1 tablespoon milk, to glaze
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200oc.
Sift together the dry ingredients and then rub in the butter until you have a grainy texture.  Stir int he soaked goji berries and then using a wooden spoon, stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.  Towards the end you may wish to use your hands to bring the dough together. 
Once the milk has been combined, work quickly.
Roll out the dough to 1.5cm thick and use a pasty/round cookie cutter about 7cm to make your scones. Then transfer onto a lightly floured baking tray.  Brush the tops of the scones with the milk and bake for 15 minutes.  Cook on a wire rack for a few minutes, before tucking in.  
Enjoy with frehsly whipped cream and  Suma Pear and Apple Spread.
Scones are best eaten on the day: or store in an airtight container.
Integrity statement borrowed from my blogger friend Lisa at We Don't Eat Anything with a Face:  As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.

15 comments:

  1. Ooh these look lovely! Especially with the center stuffed with fresh cream.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being a suma blogger - sounds like an interesting project. The scones sound lovely. To get them sky high you could use more baking powder. I often will convert my plain flour to self raising and it is 2 tsp of baking powder to 1 cup which I think is 150g of plain flour. So I think you could easily use 4 tsp of baking powder here - I think my mum adds a bit of extra baking powder to her scones to help them rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, You know that I am very selective and very rarely do commercial things, but i've been buying Suma stuff for a long time and support their ethos, so it made sense to me to be part of it.
      I agree with you re additonal baking powder is the way to go for tall scones, I will try soon.

      Delete
  3. Very tempting scones and they tempt me like all sweets.
    Congrats on your new appointment, Shaheen.
    Best wishes for many more successes that your heart desires!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandra for the warm wishes. Its a small thing relating to all things blogging, not like winning a mainstream blogging award and for that you have to get people to nominate you, not my thing - but I am pleased to be part of Suma, genuinely.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on this new role! Your reputation is increasing... Re the rising of scones: is it not true that a liberal dose of baking powder will make them rise more than you might expect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, Its not such a big role in the scheme of blogging really, and i have to say, wish my rep as a vegetarian cook was really increasing, but truth is in the past two - three years I have fallen of the blog bandwagon esp in relation to readership. Being part of Suma works two way and I am genuinely happy to be part of it.
      And re baking powder, that seems to be the general consensus - increase baking powder. thanks Mark x

      Delete
  5. I'm going to be trying these for sure. Can you believe since transfering to a vegan lifestyle I haven't had a scone let alone baked one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jasmine. Unlike you, I am not a vegan, but I really do indulge in vegan food and cooking. I too am hoping to make vegan scones some time soon, lets compare recipes, ay :)

      Delete
  6. I've been craving scones! When I think of scones I think of Starbucks, since I'm in the US, but these look delicious so I think I'll try them for a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so lovely to hear from you Sara, its been a while. We don't have scones being sold at the Starbucks here, maybe because they are seen more as British tea time treats. I hope you make a variation of these, I am hoping to make vegan scones soon, so please come back soon to check them out.

      Delete
  7. Shaheen this is right up my street! it looks so fresh, deep, filling, succulent, juicy and spicy. yum x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen